Monday, April 24, 2006

Fellow Chili Lovers Unite

This appered April 16, 2006


By the time you are reading this, I will be far away, in heaven.
No, not Heaven heaven. Culinary heaven, better known as Cincinnati, Ohio, the birthplace of Cincinnati chili.
You'll remember that last month I wrote a pair of columns about my discovery of, and disappointment with, a batch of so-called Cincinnati-style chili being plied upon an unsuspecting populace by a local West Chester restaurant, which hereafter shall remain nameless. (It's not that authentic Irish "gentlemen's club," however, if you must know.)
I have written hundreds, if not dozens, of stories in my 23 years and counting at the Daily Local News. I have covered murders, fires, presidential elections, marching band concerts, alleged UFO sightings, and former West Chester Borough Council President Tony Polito, but never have I received the response that I received for my columns on Cincinnati chili.
And it is not only the chili that those who read and wrote love.
Wrote traveling salesman Ned Lackey: "I am a resident of West Chester after moving here in 1974. When I return to the Miami Valley I savor three food specialties! 1) Skyline and Gold Star chili franchises; 2) Frisch's - love their traditional Big Boy's; and 3) The Montgomery Inn and their great ribs. I can testify to the uniqueness of Cincinnati food. Believe me, I travel on my stomach."
Meanwhile, Mary L. seems to get home only once in a while: "I'm writing to you from my office at work which is where I have a beautiful picture of Cincinnati's skyline. You are so correct that there is nothing like Cincinnati chili. I thought I was the only crazy one who at every visit home returns with cans of Skyline chili, along with LaRosa's spaghetti sauce, Husman's potato chips, etc."
Mary, meet Annalie Korengel Lorgus, of the West Chester Lorguses:
"We ate chili before we could talk! Every time I go 'home' to Cincy, I bring home a case of the chili mix envelopes. My brother and I took a 'culinary tour' of Cincy once and ate at White Castles, Skylines, and Graeters Ice Cream all in one day!"
One letter hit closer to home than others, in a physical way. That came from Ross Hamel, who might have sat next to me once or twice at my favorite chili parlor:
"As a University of Cincinnati graduate, I frequented that same Ludlow Skyline, and though a Philly native I came to relish the stuff. Now as a W.C. resident of 15 years I was floored to see such an offering come to town. (But) I'll stick to my own cans of Skyline."
The crown jewel came from Tim Thompson of Downingtown, though: "You can find Skyline Chili in cans at Wegman's in Downingtown," he reported. "When I discovered this, I e-mailed Wegman's and asked about the possibility of them carrying several other Cincinnati delicacies but, Wegman's didn't answer my e-mail. So, I guess I'll have to settle for the Skyline and continue to make a Kroger's run whenever I get back home.
I'd pick some stuff up for you Tim, but I'm afraid the car's already full.

No comments: