Monday, June 15, 2009

Walking the (Clifton) Walk

This column originally appeared on Sunday, June 14, 2009

I don’t normally get involved with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. I tend to steer fairly clear of organizations in general – the words “organization” and “newspaperman” not wholly fitting together – and have also for several years given wide berth to any group whose formal name contains the word “disease.” So don’t go getting the idea that whatever issues the boys and girls down at CDC headquarters decide to promote go straight to my mass e-mail list. I know they’re doing good work, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to put down my iPod every time the CDC wants to talk about bio-terror emergency preparation or mold prevention strategies.

But I do want to thank them for coming up with their KidsWalk to School Program, which teaches parents and community leaders how to encourage the practice of kids, well, walking to school. The idea is that kids who walk to school are healthier, more energetic, friendlier and less inclined to grow obese or, worse yet, watch “reality TV” programs like “Viva La Bam” or “Kendra.” I think the goal of getting kids to walk to school is laudable for a variety of reasons, but they have more to do with collecting four leaf clovers than staying slim. I’ll explain why in a moment.

The walking to school issue rose to national prominence recently because, frankly, I began communicating with kids I went to elementary school with back in the days when nobody envisioned a black president, Hispanic Supreme Court justice, or $4 a gallon gasoline. They are, of course, not kids anymore, but apparently have reached the same conclusion as I about life in general, and that is that practically everything was better then than it is now. Including, you guessed it, walking to school.

We all lived in a neighborhood called Clifton in Cincinnati, Ohio, through which Clifton Avenue ran past two schools, “old” Clifton Elementary School and “new” Clifton Elementary School. (Curiously, the “old” building still stands, while the “new” building was torn down a few years ago for a new “new” building. Go figure.) The schools were adjacent to one another, and within an easy half to three-quarters mile from our homes. It took 15 minutes to half an hour to get to school, depending on how far away you lived and often and for how long you stopped to look for four-leaf clovers.

A friend named Paul Patterson, you see, had started this obsession with finding four leaf clovers in the front yards of the homes that lined Clifton Avenue. He developed such a knack for it that he claimed to have 20 or more of the good luck charms encased in plastic display boxes in his room. I did not doubt him for an instant, nor did any of the other kids in our class, who, I remember, when once asked on a test to use the words “four, leaf, and clover” in a sentence, all connected them with Paul Patterson, to a boy and girl.

So the race was on for those of use who felt slightly jealous of and intimidated by Paul Patterson and his collection of four-leaf clovers. Watching him, it seemed easy enough to accomplish the same thing, after all. He walked up to a yard, stood over the grass, stared for a while, then bent over and picked up a fresh four-leaf clover and went home to do his homework and practice the violin. (Paul Patterson now plays second violin with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and although I am not entirely certain that luck did not play a pivotal role in his selection, would nor debate the point that talent certainly cannot also be dismissed.)

There must have been some other factor in the hunt for four-leaf clovers that Paul Patterson either neglected to mention or kept to himself because to this day I have amassed the grand total of only zero four-leaf clovers, a number I fear is approximately the same as my childhood classmates Mary Hoffheimer, Helen Richards, and Caroline Siegfried, with whom I began this reconsideration of school walking earlier this month. But in looking for the lucky charms, I at least began to get to know on a more intimate level the community in which I lived, and connected on a friendly level with people who 40 years later I can still talk to without having to explain what I mean when I reference the “old” school.

So thanks, CDC, for the effort to get kids to walk to school so that they are healthier, more energetic, and less like to grow obese. But you might want to also mention the part about the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. It couldn’t hurt.


No comments: