Tuesday, April 28, 2009

For The Love of Downingtown

This column originally appeared on Sunday, April 26, 2009


Maxwell Perkins, the New Jersey man who edited Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Lardner and Wolfe, was married to the same woman for 37 years. Louise Perkins and Max raised five daughters and honored one another faithfully until his death.

But Louise was not max’s “ideal woman” and at some point he met and fell head over heels for a Virginia born beauty named Elizabeth Lemmon. He wrote her constantly, viewed a visit from her as an occasion better even than the Fourth of July or his birthday, and carried on a platonic love affair with her, under the accepting gaze of Louise, for 25 years – again, until his death.

Which is a roundabout way of saying I’ve been spending a lot of time in Downingtown these days.

Look, we all know how I feel about West Chester – the county seat, the home of the Henderson Warriors, the only place I know where you can eat a hot dog you bought from a guy who can stop a table fan with his tongue in the shadow of a statue named “Old Gory.” I love this place. I honor it daily. I have lived and paid parking tickets here for longer than max knew Elizabeth Lemmon.

But, well, sometimes things change. Eating even the best mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert every day can lead one can lead one to gaze expectantly over at a bowl of Rocky Road. I started going to Downingtown on a regular basis when I began attending the Quaker meeting there. Then I started eating breakfast on Sundays there, and doing a bit of shopping there, and getting my car serviced there, and well, before you know it, I’m going to be entering my own duck in the annual Good Neighbor’s Day Rubber Duck Race along the Brandywine.

It is not as though Downingtown hasn’t caught my eye before. Downingtown was one of the first places I ever visited in Chester County, and I can still recall the sight of the Trestle Bridge as I drove into town on Route 322 in 1979, listening to the Phillies blow another game on my friend’s car radio. (“If these pitchers hang another slider over the plate, I’m going to stop listening to them for ever,” my friend promised me. He lied.) My dear friend and colleague, the late Elene Brown, lived there pretty much all her life, and she loved it so much she didn’t move even after she tried to drive the family van though a flooded section of town and ended up replacing the engine.

I have even suggested in this space that it would be advantageous for West Chester to switch places with Downingtown, since we have no navigable body of water and it does. I wrote, “We get the East Branch of the Brandywine Creek, they get the Goose Creek Waste Water Treatment Plant. We get an easy drive to Wegman’s, and they can have the entire campus of West Chester University, kegs included.” Idea hasn’t gone too far forward, truth be told, but I’ll be willing to give it time.

Here’s what I know about Downingtown:

It was initially called Milltown because it had a lot of mills. The name was switched in 1812 to Downingtown, because one of the mill owners was named Thomas Downing. The Quaker settlers in the borough were, I suppose, hewing to their spiritual quest for simplicity and so didn’t see the value in coming up with a more, shall we say creative name, like Elk or Toughkenamon or Tweedale, but when you live in a town that dropped the vivid moniker “Turks Head” for the bland “West Chester” (“We’re WEST of CHESTER, see, and CHESTER is EAST of us and, well, oh never mind…” ) you can’t really throw stones.

Theobald Wolfe Tone, the Irish patriot and martyr, lived in Downingtown for a while. Jim Croce lived up the road from Downingtown in Lyndell, so technically he had a Downingtown mailing address when he was writing “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.” I think if you asked a teenager today who was more famous, Jim Croce or Theobald Wolfe Tone, they would not be able to hear you because their ears had been permanently damaged through repeated iPod use.

Lincoln’s funeral train passed through town, which is somewhat convenient since Downingtown is located along the Lincoln Highway, which is strangely referred to mostly as Lancaster Avenue by the folks who live in Downingtown from what I can tell, but Abe was dead at the time he passed through so I don’t believe he was put off by the slight.

If you go to the “Downingtown” page on Wikipedia, you get a picture of marsh Creek State park, which is not in Downingtown, is located a good five miles from Downingtown, is closer to Dowlin and Glenmoore than Downingtown, but does have a Downingtown address. I suppose now the Wiki folks are going to start putting photos of Longwood Gardens on the Modena page as an illustration to dress things up a bit, and I don’t blame them. But there’s the Log House, circa 1705, just sitting there screaming to be pictured, and they go to a man-made lake that destroyed an entire village.

If you type “Maxwell Perkins Downingtown” into Google, you get a link to the JoBlo.com movie site. Don’t ask me why.

No comments: