Monday, March 09, 2009

25 Random Things About a Geo-Political Entity

This column originally appeared on Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hello Daily Local News readers. It’s me, Chester County.

Yes, I realize that it is odd to find that a geo-political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is writing a column, but with modern technology anything is possible. Welcome to the 21st Century! Any moment now, wholly abstract concepts, such as “happiness,” the color “red” or “Andy Dinniman” are going to have their own Web sites and Twitter addresses, so my ability to interact with you is really just the beginning.

Which is my way of getting around to letting you know that I now have my own Facebook page and am hoping you’ll all sign up to be my friends. Considering there’s almost 485,000 people living within my borders, I’d say I have the possibility of establishing yourself as the Facebook “Friends Leader of All Time” if just a small portion of you sign up. I’ll try to provide a handy link later.

But just so you know that even though I’m more than 300 years old I still have a sense of what the hottest trends are in the modern world, I thought I would let you know that I do have prepared a “25 Random Things About me” list. Apparently, it is something you have to do to really get in the spirit of Facebook. After all, chain letters are so 1888.

This is my way of letting you know a few personal things about me that might have not captured your attention in the past. I’ve dug down and mined the bottom of my personality, my likes and dislikes, the bits and pieces of my life that will let you know why you might want to be my friend. Hope you like it.

1. Degrees of separation between me and William Penn: None.

2. My Official Seal shows a tall-mast ship at sail on the ocean. But I have no ocean. Don’t ask me.

3. I have 73 municipalities, but am hoping a recent diet I started will get me down to the mid-50s.

4. Favorite television actor: Dennis Weaver, as “Chester” on Gunsmoke. Duh!

5. I have never seen Cheshire County, England, who I am apparently named after. Don’t want to, either. More of a Wales guy, myself. (See, “Tredyffrin.”)

6. Used to encompass both Lancaster and Delaware counties. Felt bad about losing Lancaster (great outlet shops!) but OK with the Delco thing.

7. Favorite fungi: mushroom. Double duh.

8. George Washington slept in me.

9. Totally over Susan Richardson of “Eight is Enough.” Sort of have a thing for Tina Fey, though.

10. Motto: “Come in Gay, go out High.”

11. Did you know: The Hooters filmed a music video inside me at an old drive-in movie theater in Exton.

12. Number of “Hooters” restaurants located in me: Zero.

13. Loved “Witness.” Hated “The Village.”

14. I would trade 50 percent of the foxhunters I find traipsing across my verdant fields if I could just have one minor league baseball team located within my borders. Preferably in the Baltimore Orioles farm system.

15. Always knew that Thurgood Marshall fellow would amount to something.

16. Can recite “Mother to Son” by Langston Hughes at the drop of a hat.

17. I’ve got lots more fieldstones where those came from if you want to build a barn somewhere.

18. Favorite Herr’s snack food: “Salt and Pepper Potato Chips.”

19. Jim Croce? Meh.

20. Turn ons: Unpaved dirt roads. Turn offs: Route 202, Tuesdays, 8:30 a.m., between Boot Road and Route 29.

21. Secretly miss Courtroom One.

22. I actually only need one jury commissioner.

23. If you go to the Eagleview business and residential community in Uwchlan, you can’t actually see Eagle.

24. Politically, I’m feeling purple.

25. I have 3,730,000 hits on Google. Go ahead, try and beat me.

No comments: