Monday, March 16, 2009

Build A Lake, And I Will Swim.

This column originally appeared on Sunday, March 15, 2009

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword has not been paying close enough attention to my column.

I have written in these pages as advocate for a number of what I consider perfectly worthy causes, and to date have had exactly none of them come to fruition. Cincinnati chili parlors in West Chester? Nope. Chadds Ford relocated into Chester County? Sorry, Charlie. Public swimming pool within easy walking distance of my home? Fuddegaboudit. Cloaking device to keep West Chester shielded from more drunken tourists? What’re you, kidding?

I am not doing well in the mightier-pen department, you might say. If I were a presidential candidate, I’d be Dennis Kucinich (2008 campaign: 25 months, 12 days. Delegate total: 0). If I were a Major League shortstop, I’d have a batting average worse even than Mario Mendoza (Nine seasons, three teams, .215 lifetime batting average.) If I were the melting point of ice on a temperature measurement scale, I’d be Celsius (0 degrees).

But what I am not is unpersistent.

Let me put that another, less grammatically incorrect, way. What I am not is a quitter (See above: “Kucinich”). I persist in these campaigns, whether they are successful or not. Once I have taken up arms, I do not stop the just just because someone has lopped off my hands from the shoulders down. I do not take my role as an advocate lightly, especially when it comes to Cincinnati chili or cloaking devices.

So once again I hurl myself into the breech. Staring today, I am officially urging the Army Corps of Engineers to begin blocking up whatever body of water is available to create a lake somewhere in West Chester, preferably within walking distance of the childhood home of Smedley Darlington Butler, of which, as has been established previously, I am a neighbor.

The thought that we need a large body of open water here occurred to me as I visited Marsh Creek State Park one recent sunny afternoon. Marsh Creek Lake is one of the most beautiful man-made sights in northern Chester County, and brings with it a sense of tranquility and ease. It is a spot for boating or fishing, sunbathing or kayaking, or simply just gazing across its grand expanse of clear blue water. (It is also a spot for surreptitious swimming, as I once discovered when a friend of mine slipped over the side of the boat we had rented for a cool dip, even though such practice is technically illegal. I say this because I am fairly certain the statute of limitations on aquatic offenses is safely behind me.)

I am also certain that having a lake somewhere in the middle of West Chester would provide a number of financial benefits to the borough that it has heretofore not enjoyed. There is the possibility of a windsurfing franchise, for example. There would be a great opportunity for a bass fishing tournament that we could conceivably spin off of the latest television episode of “Viva Le Bam.” It would make a nice swimming location as well (See above: “Cool dip”), which would not exactly conform with the sort of economic stimulus that the papers all say our nation is sorely in need of, but it would make my summers significantly more enjoyable, and what of it?

I am not at all certain how this flooding project would be accomplished, but questions like those are, as our newly inaugurated president once said, above my pay grade. I’m the idea guy, not the nuts-and-bolts guy. I lay out the strategies in broad stokes and let the Timothy Geithners and Lawrence Summers of the world fill in the details. I say we need a lake; I let someone else build the dam. If I were a movie character, I would be Bill Blazejowsky in “Night Shift”: (“What if you mix the mayonnaise in the can, WITH the tuna fish? Or... hold it! I got it! Take LIVE tuna fish, and FEED 'em mayonnaise! Call Starkist!”).

Look, I know that you are shaking your head in disbelief at my apparent naïveté that what I wish in these pages will somehow come true. In response, I point out that someone had to be the one to think of putting a lake in the middle of Upper Uwchlan. He or she probably got laughed at by all the residents of Milford Mills right up until the time the waters of Marsh Creek started creeping into their root cellars, and where are they now? I tell you where they are: Living on the banks of a 535-acre man made lake, that’s where hey are. So sing your song of impossible dreams to them.

Or to Edward Bulwer-Lytton, who, just by way of explanation, in his 1839 play “Richelieu; Or the Conspiracy,” coined the phrase, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” I’m sure he’ll listen.

No comments: